Each semester, Occidental College’s Registrar automatically generates a Moodle course for every class offered. Instructors who teach multiple sections of the same class may find it advantageous to merge their sections so that they only need to maintain content and see all enrolled students in one course.
1. Determine which section will serve as the parent course, or the course that you’ll be bringing the students and grades over to. Generally, the course you have created content for already is the better option.
2. Go to the course that will be the child course, the course that students and grades will be moved from, find the Course administration block on the left side, click Edit settings.
3. . Temporarily change the name of the course under Course full name by adding a distinctive prefix to the course, e.g. xyz.
4. Return to the parent course and under the Course administration block, go to the Users tab before clicking Enrollment Methods. Click the “Choose…” dropdown under the where it says Add Method. Select “Course meta link”.
5. This will take you to a page where you may search for the the child course in a drop down menu by typing Shift+xyz (or whatever prefix you chose for the child course).
6. Select your course and click Add method.
7. Change name of both parent and child courses (Course administration >> Edit settings >> Course full name).
a. In child course, remove the prefix added earlier and make the course private (How to do this: Link; be sure, rather than click “Show,” click “Hide”).
b. In parent course, rename to [Course number] – [Section Numbers] – [Course Name], e.g. ECON-101-01&02-Principles of Economics I
c. Click Save changes in both courses.