Please note that while it is possible for instructors to manually add or remove participants to a Moodle course, this method should only be used in exceptional cases. Enrollment in Moodle courses is handled through synchronization with the Registrar’s Office official enrollments. Manual additions or deletions of students that are not in sync with the Registrar’s Office can lead to problems for students. In a few scenarios, manual enrollment is acceptable:
- Adding a Guest Instructor. Guest Instructors can do anything within a course, including changing the activities and grading students. They are distinct from the Professor in that they are not the instructor of record.
- Adding a Non-Editing Teacher. Non-Editing Teachers can teach in courses and grade Students, but not alter activities.
- Adding a Guest Student. Guest Students participate in courses by viewing resources and interacting with activities. Guest Students are distinct from Students in that they are not officially enrolled in the course and do not receive credit for their participation.
- Adding Instructor Authorized Student Assistant. This role should ONLY be assigned to Student Assistants authorized by the course instructor.
|Role/Capability||View others grades||Edit grades||Make announcements||Edit activities|
1. Under the Settings block on the main page of your Moodle course, click Course Administration >> Users >> Enrolled Users.
2. The left hand side of the page will load your current roster. Click on the button that says Enroll users at the top right of the roster.
3. A window will pop up. At the top of the pop up, there is a drop down menu where you can choose what type of participant you want to add under the Assign roles drop-down window, including a Student or a Teacher. Select one.
4. In the Search field located at the bottom of the pop-up window, you can enter all or part of the name of the person you are trying to add and then click Search.
5. When you have found the name of the person you would like to add, click on the Enroll button located to the right of their name. To exit, click the Finish enrolling users button. Your Enrolled Users page will refresh and list the new participant(s).
6. To remove a participant, click on the “X” under the Enrollment methods column (see picture below). A new page will ask you if you are sure you want to unenroll the participant from your course. Click on the Continue button, and your Enrolled Users page will refresh.
To enable Guest access to your Moodle site, please see the Allow Guest Access tutorial.