Please note that while it is possible for instructors to manually add or remove participants to a Moodle course, this method should only be used in exceptional cases. Enrollment in Moodle courses is handled through synchronization with the Registrar’s Office official enrollments. Manual additions or deletions of students that are not in sync with the Registrar’s Office can lead to problems for students. In a few scenarios, manual enrollment is acceptable:
- Adding a Guest Instructor. Guest Instructors can do anything within a course, including changing the activities and grading students. They are distinct from the Professor in that they are not the instructor of record.
- Adding a Non-Editing Teacher. Non-Editing Teachers can teach in courses and grade Students, but not alter activities.
- Adding a Guest Student. Guest Students participate in courses by viewing resources and interacting with activities. Guest Students are distinct from Students in that they are not officially enrolled in the course and do not receive credit for their participation.
- Adding Instructor Authorized Student Assistant. This role should ONLY be assigned to Student Assistants authorized by the course instructor.
|Role/Capability||View others grades||Edit grades||Make announcements||Edit activities|
1. To add participants, click on the Course Management icon in the top left corner of the Menu Bar.
2. In the box that pops up, click the Participants link in the User Links box on the right side of the screen.
3. A list of participants for your course will appear in the middle of the screen. To add students to this list, click on the button that says Enroll users.
4. A window will pop up. At the bottom of the pop up, there is a drop down menu where you can choose what type of participant you want to add under the Assign roles drop-down window. Select one.
In the Search field located at the top of the pop-up window, you can enter all or part of the name of the person you are trying to add and then select that person when their name appears.
5. The person you have selected to enroll will show up in the Selected users field above the search box. Click on the Enroll users button located at the bottom of the pop-up window. Your Enrolled Users page will refresh and list the new participant(s).
Allowing a Student Assistant to Selectively Grade Assignments
In some cases, an instructor may wish to allow an Instructor Authorized Student Assistant to grade some assignments. To do this at the assignment level, rather than giving the student the Non-Editing Teacher or Guest Instructor role, please follow the steps in the video below. Any student granted such permission must be made aware of the confidentiality of grades as outlined in FERPA regulations.
To enable Guest access to your Moodle site, please see the Allow Guest Access tutorial.