Forums are helpful for students to engage in academic or class related discussions outside of the traditional classroom setting.
1. Turn Editing On, then click in the section of the course page that you would like the questionnaire to appear.
2. Select Forum from the menu. Then click Add button at the bottom of the pop-up window.
3. This will redirect you to a page where, in the General section, you must enter the name and description of the forum.
4. Still in the General, you may choose one of five types of forums you want to display.
a. Single simple discussion: single discussion topic which everyone can reply to (cannot be used with separate groups).
b. Each person posts one discussion: each student can post exactly one new discussion topic, which everyone can then reply to.
c. Q and A forum: students must first post their perspectives before viewing other students’ posts.
d. Standard forum displayed in a blog-like format: open forum where anyone can start a new discussion at any time, and in which discussion topics are displayed on one page with “Discuss this topic” links.
e. Standard forum for general use: open forum where anyone can start a new discussion at any time.
5. After, you may dictate:
a. If you want students to automatically be subscribed to the forum. Students will receive forum post notifications.
b. If you want students to be tracked. Students are able to track read and unread messages in the forums and discussions.
c. What category the forum falls under.
6. After selecting the desired settings, click the Save and return to course button to add the forum to your course.
7. To create a discussion topic, click on the forum link from your course page and click the button: . You will then be able to name and submit a discussion. When satisfied with your discussion, scroll to bottom of screen and click Post to Forum.
8. You will then be taken to screen that tells you how long you have to edit your post, simply press Continue. By doing this you will allow other students the ability read and reply. To reply to a post, simply click on the post you wish to respond to. This will take you to the complete discussion post, under which you have the option to click the Reply link.
9. When finished with your reply, simply scroll to the bottom once more, and click Post to Forum.
To delete a forum, please see this post.